This appeared originally as my answer to a question on Quora, which can be found here: Why is it so difficult to forget about past?
The human mind is capable of great things. Your question about difficulty in forgetting the past tells me that there’s some things in your past that puts your mind in distress. Here are a few steps/tips that you can follow:
- Stop recalling those events which stress you out or make you sad;
- Expose yourself only to happy thoughts and experiences. You feel what you come across. If you come across happy people and events, you will feel happy. If you come across sad people and events, you will feel sad;
- MAKE YOURSELF BUSY. Yes, if you busy your mind, your mind will soon forget events that make you feel sad, and you will see some results showing from your work which will make you feel proud and happy about yourself;
- Help others to be able to help yourself. Helping others is one of the best ways to make yourself feel good and happy. Help others without any expectations of any kind;
- Try coming across new people who don’t know much about your past. New people, new surroundings, new experiences will help you forget about your past in a quicker manner.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
Follow me on Quora or my blogfor all things advertising and marketing, and some things about life that amaze me every now and then.